||Pools, Fences and Hot Tubs
- A permit is required for all pools and hot tubs capable of holding in excess of 76.2 cm. (30") of water
- All pools and hot tubs located in rear yards shall be located 1.2 m from property lines. If there is a deck attached to the pool, the 1.2 m yard requirement is taken from the closest structure to the property line - corner lot property owners should contact the Building Department at (519) 539-2382, Ext. 3103
- The minimum height of the pool fence enclosure and gate is 1.5 m (5ft.). If of chain link construction, the diamond mesh shall not be greater than 3.81cm (l.5") if height not less than 5', 2" mesh if fencing not less than 8". If of wood construction, a height of 1.5 m (5 ft.) vertical boarding is required and not less than 2.54 cm (1 in.) x 10.16 cm (4 in.) nominal dimensions spaced not more than 3.81 cm (1.5 in.) apart.
- All gates forming part of the enclosure shall be self-closing and equipped with a locking device and with a self-latching device placed at the top and on the inside of the gate
- The draining of any pool shall be directed to a City street to prevent the accumulation or passing of any water onto adjacent properties.
Outdoor hot tub enclosures shall comply with pool fencing restrictions and/or secured with a locked, rigid lid when not in use.
For more specific details or alternative fencing, call the Building Department at (519) 539-2382, Ext. 3103.
Open, Uncovered Wood Decks
The following bylaw provisions and policies shall apply to the construction of decks:
- A building permit is required for all decks more than 30.48 cm (12 in.) above average grade.
- A raised deck located in rear yards shall be located 1.2 m (4 ft.) from property lines, measured to the edge of the structure, if not attached to dwelling or 0.6m or 2' if attached to dwelling.
- Uncovered decks are not subject to lot coverage restrictions of the Zoning By-law.
- Raised decks located in front and side yards are subject to restrictions of the Zoning Bylaw.
- Raised decks shall conform to the applicable provisions of the Ontario Building Code.
For further information on pools, hot tubs, decks and sheds and other types of building proposals, please contact the Building Department at (519) 539-2382, Ext. 3103.
- A building permit is required for all sheds, including sheds under 10 M2 (107 sq. ft.), to ensure compliance to the Zoning By-law
- Sheds may be located in rear and interior side yards provided that they are located 1.2 m (4 ft.) from the property lines - corner lot property owners should contact the Building Department at (519) 539-2382, Ext. 3103.
- Mean height of a shed shall not exceed 4 m.
- Accessory structures (including sheds) shall not cover more than 10% of the lot area or 75 M2 (807 sq. ft.) whichever is more restrictive.
- Sheds that are greater than 10 M2 (107 sq. ft.) require submission of framing details at the time of the building permit application.
By-Law Amendments for Fences
Notice to Residents of By-law Amendments for Fences and Swimming Pool/Hot Tub Fence Enclosures: Notice To Residents 69.02 Kb
By-law to repeal and replace the City of Woodstock Municipal Code Chapter 722 Fence – Height – Description: Amended By-law (MC #722) 41.78 Kb